These Christmas Maths Word Problems provide practice with the four different types of addition and subtraction problems - Result Unknown, Change Unknown, Start Unknown and Compare - all with a Christmas theme. Students read the word story and record their working out on the Think Boards using the suggested strategies.
Think Boards are a visual way for children to demonstrate their thinking about a word problem and show their understanding of some of the strategies that may be used to find a solution. In the early years they help children find a way to solve problems that suits their individual learning style. Each Think Board provides five different ways to find a solution. Think Boards give children confidence when tackling difficult word problems.
When using these Think Boards the children will learn to solve problems by: using a number line, using a ten frame, using a tally, drawing a picture and writing a number sentence. Once learnt, these strategies may be adapted as the children’s needs become more sophisticated.
You will find:
- Contents page
- 5 Strategy Posters for classroom display
- 10 Worksheets - 2 Think Boards per page (20 word problems)
- 3 Worksheets providing number sentences and requiring student to write the Number Story - 2 Think Boards per page (6 number sentences)
- 2 Assessment pages
You may also like:
- Christmas Maths and English Worksheets
- Christmas Place Value Games
- Christmas Maths Picture Puzzles
- Christmas Maths and English Worksheets, Word Wall and Games Bundle
This resource is for one classroom use only. It is bound by copyright laws and redistributing, editing, selling or posting this item (or any part thereof) on the internet are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Christmas Maths Word Problems | Addition & Subtraction to 20
PDF (34 MB / 22 pages)